2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:22 PM

Being very busy with work and two young children it has been really disappointing to see this forum overrun with s-p-a-mmers.  However, pleasingly the anti-spam measures have been completely successful in preventing any of the spam becoming public.  Unfortunately over 1500 topics, 400+ replies and 300 spam members have appeared on the forum.  I have been able to remove all the spam members and all the new topics, but I'm reduced to manually removing the replies.  I will get this done eventually.

However, it shows how important it is to try to keep on top of such things - and to have measures in place to prevent s-p-a-mmers abusing a genuine community like this one.

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Six months later and I still haven't had the opportunity to get the forum fully sorted.  As above, spammer posts don't ever appear as they have to be manually approved but there are still hundreds of replies that have to be deleted.  I might come up with an alternative solution if I can - something were I just delete older topics that have been spoiled and then repost the proper posts....

Anyway, hopefully onwards and upwards :)  Do have a look at a blog I've got my faculty at school to start putting together: http://www.neale-wad...digitalstudies/

#3 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hurrah! Now all the spammy topics and everything else has been removed and fixed.   Took far too long and it was, of course, related to everything else I've had to do both personally and professionally in the last six months, but it is great to see this forum rescued.  I will submit the forum for a software upgrade and start to use a few of the newer features.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users