4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

This looks like a splendid content creation tool - see the overview YouTube video for an introduction:

<b>Project ROME for Education</b> lets students and educators express, collaborate and communicate ideas using graphics, photos, text, video, audio and animation in a simple, unified content creation and publishing environment to enhance the learning experience.

From the Adobe Educational Leaders' Blog: http://blogs.adobe.c...oject-rome.html

Adobe has a new all-in-one content creation and publishing tool parked in a cloud.  Project ROME is revolutionary and a true paradigm shift for content creation and publishing applications.   ROME can be run as anAdobe Air application or accessed directly from a light-weight internet cloud (browser-based web application).  The application is light-weight, but incredibility rich and diverse as a creation tool.  Adobe has extracted some of the best tools from various Adobe applications like Flash, Premiere, InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator and suspended them into a one-stop creative experience for the end-user.  Join the new and growing cultural revolution for creative educators!   Project ROME can be run from a simple Netbook laptop to a high performance desktop computer, the choice is yours.  Project ROME is available through Adobe Labs probably for a limited time.  I would encourage all educators to sign-in and reach for the stars, pushing the boundaries of the creative process.

I've heard lots about the tool in recent weeks but this is the first opportunity I'd had to experiment with it.  Seems like a very flexible tools to allow educators to generate their own learning content - presentations, media and interactive tools.  You can output to .swf and 'interactive' .pdf (i.e. a .swf file embedded in a .pdf).  Certainly something to keep a very close eye on.  If Adobe get the pricing right then it could be extremely useful for all teachers.

Project ROME for Education - http://rome.adobe.com/education (For educator evaluation only)
Project Rome For Education Pilot Program Institutions interested in a pilot, apply today
Project ROME - http://rome.adobe.com

The aspect that particularly appeals for me is that here is a tool that shows how Flash-based tools are developing beyond the core Flash application installed on a school network.  We're trying to look for an online solution for all of our curricular uses of ICT and Flash is a major stumbling block.  We want students to be able to continue to develop high-end skills in Flash, but this requires an installation of the core Flash application.  Hopefully, if solutions like ROME are adopted, we'll see an online equivalent of Flash in the future.  Something that offers the same functionality and tools for students but without the need to be tied to a local installation.  This looks very promising.

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:33 PM

There is a useful list of tutorials on this page too: http://rome.adobe.co.../tutorials.html

#3 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

I've had a quick play with this tool for an hour or so - it is incredibly good.  The interface is also very clever - it looks like there aren't many options, but once you've experimented for a few minutes you find that options appear on demand.

For example - in the screenshot below where I've been playing around with a simple portfolio.  Each of the items can be locked as you can in the standard Flash authoring tool, but as you go to edit the text you hover over the small circle near the text and all the formatting options appear.  This feels much more natural and intuitive that searching around for traditional menu options.  I'm so impressed that I think I might even get sixth-form students to use this tool for their multimedia projects rather than using Flash directly.

Attached File  Screen shot 2010-11-13 at 21.44.04.png   102.16K   2 downloads

It seems to be all the presentational features of Flash, although I haven't experimented to see how the buttons and suchlike are coded.  I'm assuming hyperlinks and other code elements can be included.  I guess the closest tool I've used to this is the 'presentation / slide' mode in the main Flash tool.  It will certainly be interesting to see how it can be used.  I shall also explore the restrictions and requirements of the tool.  We, like many schools, are still using Windows XP as the network OS so I hope there are no restrictions in that sense.

#4 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

There is also a forum where fellow educators have been discussing the tool and it's development: http://forums.adobe....trome/educators

#5 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:20 PM

One great feature that I've stumbled upon is to search directly within ROME for appropriate images - it would be great if this feature can be expanded upon to find specific CC-based images or copyright-free - that could make the feature very useful within schools.

Attached File  Screen shot 2010-11-14 at 23.17.56.png   71.2K   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users