1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

These are some of the things that I discovered at the BETT (British Education Training Technology) Show 2007.  Obviously this isn't everything that was at the show, but the following things are the items that I've been left with once getting rid of all the rubbish I'd picked up.

I'll put each quick review into a separate topic which will allow anyone to offer their views and ideas.  If you went to BETT please do add any additional things that you found - the more the better!

[No particular order]

j2e.com - 'online document processor'

OpenMind 2 Business - mindmapping and planning software

Serif Secondary Design Suite - web and print design tools

Varndean e-Learning Audit Pro - ICT skills assessment & development

KeyTools.com - accessibility tools

BusyFingers - touch typing software

NEC plasmas - display technology

NEC virtual PC center - thin client technology

PSP in education - using PSPs in schools

Moodle at BETT - Virtual Learning Environment

#2 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Advanced Member

• Active members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

Wow - very impressive AF! I haven;t got time to go into as much detail as that right now, although I may come back later in the week when I've finished going through my bag. In the meantime here's the post I added to a thread on the history board:

As a BETT virgin I was pretty impressed. Highlights for me included:

The Apple talks. Although they're not there yet, we were told all the talks were being podcasted and put up at ipodined.org, a site with some other good stuff.

I also had a long chat with someone at the BBC stand who said that the history content that had been prepared for BBC Jam would be going up once the review was finished, hopefully with some more KS3 stuff coming some time after.

I was really impressed with FileMaker, who have a cross platform database package that I've used before and showed off an excellent school database system which incorperated SIMS, Registers, Reports and loads of other stuff. Again it proved that stuff that was designed by teachers always seems better than stuff designed for them

I was glad to see moodle was there, it was just a shame they were tucked in the corner.

I was also amazed at the number of people selling stuff that was very similar, but without taking into account that the joy of digital content is that it can be customised. As such, I could spend a small fortune on CDs and DVDs of packages, all of which had their content pretty much fixed and none of which quite did I would want. It made me very grateful for place that this forum and the historyshareforum where people recognise that what they've got works for them, but might need a quick tweek to be right for the school down the road, or on the other side of the country!

The only other thing I'd add now is the number of people I've spoken to who didn't seem to make it all the way round. I guess that just shows the importance of forums (fora?) like this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users