• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cropps

Cropps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

Hi Andrew - I've been playing around with your finished .fla file for the Random Card Sorter and edited your array so that the cards display different text than your version (see link below). How easy is it to edit that data by using a .xml file (like I've seen used in eg random number generators by Dan Bunker) - so that if a colleague wanted to edit the cards quickly - it could be achieved without them understanding the 'workings' of the Flash program

Random Cards

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

Hi - firstly excellent you've been able to put together your own version :)

It would be relatively straightforward to adapt this so it uses an .xml file - the .xml powered quiz that is also on the Flash training quiz shows how .xml can be used.  The only tricky programming issue would be to correctly pass the .xml data into an array in the format the Flash cards use.  Nevertheless, it is still a little bit fiddly with the code even just by editing an .xml file.  I know it is just text and is really simple to see what is going on but it can be confusing for those who are less keen or experienced.

If the .xml file is setup really clearly it would be easy to allow others to create new versions without editing the original Flash.  Do experiment and see how you get on.  Once the new term rush has settled down a bit I'll do all I can to assist.

Should you wish I could also construct a quick tool based on my ContentGenerator.net concept - this is my solution to allow other teachers to generate their own content without actually having to do any real coding.

#3 Cropps

Cropps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for your quick reply Andrew - I'll have a look at your training quiz and play around with the .xml file. Your last solution based on your own concept (constructing a quick tool based fix) - also sounds exciting. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users